Job title: Staff Engineer(Switch & Control)
Assists Associate Manager Conformity Assessment Services in assigned specialized areas by providing technical expertise in equipment and standards within broad product classifications. Provides expert advice in all technical areas of all product categories common to the appropriate discipline. Represents UL on technical committees of national and/or international organizations. Provides leadership, technical advice and counsel to other professionals. May exercise Project Handler Signature Authority as Project Handler of record responsible for opening, maintenance, completion, and closing of assigned new work engineering projects. Exercises Review Signature Authority as required as Reviewer of record responsible for initial review, status review, and final technical review of all new work engineering projects.
- Determines project scope and specifications with substantial latitude for action or decision. Recommends changes in procedures, design or equipment where necessary.
- Initiates communication with clients to promote and explain the benefits of new and existing services. Communicates with clients to provide technical assistance in reference to complex product evaluation and/or inspection and follow-up services. Follows up on contacts from clients. Resolves technical issues and explains UL procedures and requirements.
- Plans, conducts and supervises projects of major magnitude and scope. Determines areas in which the product is not in compliance with UL requirements or of any changes in project scope or specifications, and notifies client.
- Coordinates complex laboratory activities by developing data sheets. Coordinates administrative aspects of project management. May serve as Project Handler of record and may sign as Reviewer of record as assigned.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Resolves complex engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations.
- Develops UL requirements for testing products beyond the scope of existing standards, or those involving unique features requiring frequent use of independent judgment. Develops special test methods and test equipment. Represents UL on technical committees of national and/or international organizations.
- Provides leadership and technical advice on special projects that involve complex, new or unusual issues. May provide direction as a Primary Designated Engineer or Designated Engineer for specific product categories.
- Performs special projects as directed.
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Master Degree major in Software, Electrical and Automation or similar; Bachelor Degree accepted with min. 3 years directly related work experience.
- TIC industry work experience preferred, especially IEC 60730, IEC 61508 and IEC 60335.
- Demonstrated knowledge of programing languages, e.g. C/C++, and also familar with software development process and related documents.
- Demonstrated ability to apply project-handling concepts in use in areas of expertise, including application to complex, new, or unusual products.
- Demonstrated good communication skills to co-work with US/EU team and solve complex technical problems with clients.
- Fluent in spoken & written English